Alien Naming Contest ROUND 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Sorry for being a killjoy, i understand the people's enthusiasm and the desire to collaborate with the project, but to me most of the submitted names are either too over-elaborated or too cringey to even pronounce.

I just gave 3-4 stars to the four less dumb-sounding ones.

I'm sorry guys, i just had to say it. :(

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Sorry for being a killjoy, i understand the people's enthusiasm and the desire to collaborate with the project, but to me most of the submitted names are either too over-elaborated or too cringey to even pronounce.

I just gave 3-4 stars to the four less dumb-sounding ones.

I'm sorry guys, i just had to say it. :(
I will agree that most of them did feel cringey to think of saying in actual context or such. But there were still some ok ones, and two or three decent ones.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Eh, I got yelled at for being "overly critical" of the cringy suggestions and here is where we are at...gotta make the best of what we have to work with. Kinda wish there was a chart to see how the voting is going.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Eh, I got yelled at for being "overly critical" of the cringy suggestions and here is where we are at...gotta make the best of what we have to work with. Kinda wish there was a chart to see how the voting is going.
lol. I never "yelled" at you for being "overly critical". I stated that this contest is designed to welcome multiple points of view. For example, some folks see a name suggestion like "Sneazers" and think it's pretty great, other folks may think it's absolutely terrible. Both opinions are totally fine. Critical is allowed as long as no one insults another person just for having a preference that is different than theirs.

Done! Really excited to see how this turns out. This one was tough because there were several options that would work equally well.
Hopefully the end result falls onto one of the names you feel would work really well.

I chose 1 to 2 stars only... Very disappointed for all names :( There wasn't really colorfull name.
And shitty name will win from person with big quantity friends.
Hm. I understand your worry. Yes. You're saying someone can get other people (their contacts on whatever social-media platform) to go to the site and vote for a particular name.

Honestly, I don't know whether one person can be prevented from voting more than once. When I'm logged in and I go to the list, it doesn't really display a message saying I already voted. Maybe I haven't looked carefully enough, or maybe it will only display it at the end, when I hit vote, and it recognizes my IP address.

I do think they're both legitimate concerns. The first one, anyway. If the second is somehow prevented.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Greavers from round 2 appears to have been changed to Greivers in round 3. I don't remember that being in round 2. what gives?

I would have voted differently if not for that.

Mar 18, 2017
Quite a varied mix of names in there, gave a few 4-stars. Some of them didn't really seem to fit with what I thought of the Tshiu. So just waiting to see what is voted for.
Just wondering if there would be a re-vote if when the name is chosen, a significant amount of the community is unhappy with the result, and if there could be any new submissions from any newer joiners to the forums.

Greavers from round 2 appears to have been changed to Greivers in round 3. I don't remember that being in round 2. what gives?

I would have voted differently if not for that.
Grievers <- spelling ... was mine. I do remember "Greavers" as well. But, as I've said, apart from sounding similar to mine, it's not actually a word. Don't know what happened to it, though.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Grievers <- spelling ... was mine. I do remember "Greavers" as well. But, as I've said, apart from sounding similar to mine, it's not actually a word. Don't know what happened to it, though.
Misspelling in round 2 I've been told. If you've ever been kicked in the shins, you might know why I found it funny.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I chose 1 to 2 stars only... Very disappointed for all names :( There wasn't really colorfull name.
And shitty name will win from person with big quantity friends.
Wouldnt the last decision be made by the em8er team?, would there be more opportunities to provide ideas for names?
would the names destroy the game?

What if an alien was called MutoroCreeper = part mutant, part bull, part creeper

i like the sound of this although it sounds way stuipid but i like it though
PrimalChhit because its number 1 turd and has an instinct to be annoying to the thmpr

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Yeah, I know "greave" or "greaves" in plural, as in shin-guards. But, there is no such thing as "greaver" or "greavers."
I didn't make any contributions to the competition, since I wanted to remain impartial.

The idea of the competition as I understand it (as well as giving away some swag) is to come up with a slang word to describe the enemy. It should become part of lore. So it doesn't need to be a recognized word. It doesn't need to be "a thing". It just needs a connotation. I'd rather see slang created than appropriated.

I'm hoping that we end up with something that has dual meaning, rather than a cool word. Something that is both respectful and disrespectful at the same time. Or knockdown funny, whilst appreciative. The misspelling of your contribution fitted that bill.

I'm not trying to argue or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.