If You Dont Like The Unreal 4 Engine........

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Well with Star Citizen leaving Cryengine and adopting Amazon Lumberyard it shows how important an engine is.

Amazon Lumberyard also has the freely available editor, which can lead to mods and the such.

I wonder how lightweight and netcode is like..
I thought I read somewhere that Lumberyard is basically Cryengine with new tools.

Jul 26, 2016
I thought I read somewhere that Lumberyard is basically Cryengine with new tools.
sounds like it from these two threads
https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=133294
or
https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=133275

and for official word about it...
https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=328&t=133300
The community manager at Crytek, Frankfurt, Cry-Angela said :
Amazon released a new game engine called Lumberyard this week. We at Crytek have quietly been providing many of the core features of this engine to them. The result: some of the awesome tools we have in CRYENGINE you will be able to see in Lumberyard as well.
Until now we haven’t been able to publicly talk about this relationship. But now that Lumberyard has been released, we can assure you that it is in fact a compelling offering (because it is based on CRYENGINE!) and has many of the CRYENGINE legacy features you’ve come to know and love, such as Global Illumination, Flow Graph, and PBR.​

Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Yes it is, in fact Amazons deal with Crytek may of saved the company as it was headed for a very rocky future. There where a lot of payment disputes within Crytek (afaik) and they had closed down studios. Also, Lumberyard is more than the engine purchase (estimated between 30-50m) it's the networking within Amazons Elastic Compute Cloud (There currently a free tier surprisingly) and as we know, smooth gameplay as well as having a stable engine are key to having a stable platform.

Hmm, Cryengine/Lumberyard is a fork... omg, it's like Offset all over again, although I suspect that Amazon wouldn't withdraw this like intel did, would they...

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Yes it is, in fact Amazons deal with Crytek may of saved the company as it was headed for a very rocky future. There where a lot of payment disputes within Crytek (afaik) and they had closed down studios. Also, Lumberyard is more than the engine purchase (estimated between 30-50m) it's the networking within Amazons Elastic Compute Cloud (There currently a free tier surprisingly) and as we know, smooth gameplay as well as having a stable engine are key to having a stable platform.

Hmm, Cryengine/Lumberyard is a fork... omg, it's like Offset all over again, although I suspect that Amazon wouldn't withdraw this like intel did, would they...
The circumstances are significantly different. Intel bought Project Offset to show off Larrabee, which never came to be. Amazon already has cloud computing services, which are extremely successful. Lumberyard is also already here, unlike Project Offset at the time it was canceled.

Jul 26, 2016
Australia
The circumstances are significantly different. Intel bought Project Offset to show off Larrabee, which never came to be. Amazon already has cloud computing services, which are extremely successful. Lumberyard is also already here, unlike Project Offset at the time it was canceled.
And FF had a fork of Offset.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
And FF had a fork of Offset.
FF's engine situation is even more different than the Cryengine/Lumberyard situation though. FF uses a highly modified version of the Offset engine and Red 5 isn't anywhere near as powerful as Amazon. FF was stuck with an engine that couldn't be updated easily. Amazon created Lumberyard most likely because they believed it could bring in more money (one way or another) and as long as it has potential or as long as it's successful enough, it will be updated. I'm not saying Lumberyard couldn't fail, but if it does fail, the reason will likely be totally unrelated to what happened to the Offset engine or Red 5's heavily modified version of it.

Vedrit

Commander
Feb 6, 2017
No engine is one-size-fits-all, most projects require adjustments, tweaking, recording, or even creation of some of your own tools. However, UR4 Engine is a hell of a lot better choice than some of the garbage that is out there.
Quite true. I, however, am quite partial to Unity, primarily since it seems to be the only decent engine that relies heavily on C#, the only programming language I'm comfortable with.

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
I only know C++, xbox directX, and very little python. But all these engines only support C# :'(

I wish there were C++ engines

EDIT. I know full well that they're all coded in C++. I want to know which ones allow SCRIPTING in C++

Last edited:

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Quite true. I, however, am quite partial to Unity, primarily since it seems to be the only decent engine that relies heavily on C#, the only programming language I'm comfortable with.
It's hard to write good C++, but programs written in C++ run faster than programs written in higher level, garbage collected languages like Java, C# or Python.

Sarah

Commander
Feb 17, 2017
Wales
6ft6.co.uk
I love the Unreal Engine, been using it before the public release on a contract. I now use Nvidia custom builds, been trying to make a full physics with flex, and vxgi. It has come a long way since that I used it first of all.

My issue with Unity, was that is was single thread for a very long time. It became riddled with bugs that I just didn't want to deal with. Easy to pick up though.

I only know C++, xbox directX, and very little python. But all these engines only support C# :'(

I wish there were C++ engines

EDIT. I know full well that they're all coded in C++. I want to know which ones allow SCRIPTING in C++
C++ is not a scripting language, Unreal has full source code available to you, you can write blueprints in C++ or in the BP editor.

Torque Engine, is C++ and you need to know C++ to use it. Not C++ scripting though just coding.

Last edited:

ddrfr33k

Terraformer
Jul 6, 2017
I played around with UEdit on UT99 back in the day. It took a bit to learn, but the editor became increasingly more intuitive as I used it. I could see it working out just fine here.

Jul 28, 2016
Unity is at the same time easier to use and produce with while also infinitely harder to master. Take a game like Escape From Tarkov which rivals graphics and game-play to some of the highest AAA FPS's out on market. It is all made in Unity, allows crazy gun customization (barrels, grips, stocks, dual sights etc...), realistic blind fire, incremental walk speeds (loudness plays a factor in stealth), incremental stand-bend-prone positions, leaning out of corners... and more. Check that game out and tell me Unity cant be used with amazing results. Saying any engine is crap, is like a violinist blaming his instrument for being bad at playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.