Alien Naming Contest - ROUND TWO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandsou

Jul 31, 2016
Hong Kong
www.g2a.com
Quite an unfair way to vote to be honest.

Great names could happen to be on the same page, while you're only allowed to pick 3 at most. On the other hand, shitty names could occupy another page, while you're forced to at least pick one.

I expect a better environment for such competition.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
For those wanting a "none of the above option", I do understand that some pages selections left you without a single option you liked.
However, the purpose of this round is two fold: 1: round down the names to around 30 options. 2: prevent anyone from simply choosing the three names they themselves created and leaving us right where we were in round one of the contest.
Essentially a "none of the above" option could have literally left us with almost exactly the same information that we had in round one.

For those suggesting this "format of the contest is unfair", I can see how you might find all of the ones you like in one page or none of the ones you like on another. In truth there is no way to split up the names where that isn't a possibility. And not splitting things up has it's own problem.

Research shows that a single poll with large numbers of options (like 200) leads to even more choices-out-of-fatigue than a multi section poll. Also, having a single set of ten votes to spread among all sections would create the need to be familiar with all pages before being confident with any single vote you cast, as the next page might offer even better options. Which leads us back to the same issue as explained above. The concept of ranking each section from 1 to 10 is interesting though it forces a certain amount of additional time and attention on each page that could lead to fatigue.

Note: Fatigue is a huge concern when there are a lot of options. Fatigue heavily skews the votes toward early entries as the more tired of something a person becomes the less attention and care they give to each choice.

I did my very best to split the names up into categories based on likeness then spread the choices out evenly among the polls. But, please understand, it is literally impossible to predict which of the many names will resonate with every person.

For those concerned that their submission wasn't accurately represented. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
Keep in mind that there were a certain number of duplicate submissions in round one.

At the end of the day this contest isn't perfect, nor would I claim it is. It is, however, built the way it is with reason and research behind it. Hopefully you can all bare with us in our attempt to sort through them. If you have another way to do a contest such as this, that effectively avoids the problems I am tasked with avoiding, I am certainly willing to hear it.

Let me end this post by saying how thankful I am that so many people got involved with this contest.
It really does mean a lot to us.

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
NOT GOOD ENOUGH? ONLY 2 OF MINES SHOWED UP, 'CUZ WE ALREADY GOT SHIT TISSUE. CRY MUCH?
Well I fight with that Tsihu everyday...lol.
But leaving out Splinks. My god, what were you ppl thinking. Oh well, I guess we just have to take second best then.... :(

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Yeah the first thread was conveniently vanished? So I couldn't check on my post but I think only one of my names got in there and it was my least favorite of the three...but I posted them so long ago that my memory is fuzzy.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
Not all names made the list. Any reason?
I may be able to answer that. Do you recall what is missing?

Yeah the first thread was conveniently vanished? So I couldn't check on my post but I think only one of my names got in there and it was my least favorite of the three...but I posted them so long ago that my memory is fuzzy.
I will check into it.
You suggested Sneezers, Big Cats and Beasties. All three are on the polls.

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
FOR ALL THE NEWBIE PUSSY HERE IN THE FORUM AND COMMUNITY.

IF YOU WONDER WHY OR WHAT'S NINER

NINER AS IN "FUCK THE9"
(THAT SHIT DOESN'T MAKE SENCE)

NOW VOTEPLODE THE SHIT OUT OF THAT NAME! ASAP!

*diddly diddly weooowewewwewaoooooo* (sick solo riff)

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
Splinks
Thanks Ronyn.
Hmmm. I apologize. It appears I missed it somehow in the transfer. I can go ahead and add it in now but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about what you may have missed from the first day voters. :(

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I may be able to answer that. Do you recall what is missing?

I will check into it.
You suggested Sneezers, Big Cats and Beasties. All three are on the polls.
Ah ok...hmm somehow I missed seeing Beasties on the list, but I will take your word for it as that isn't anything new for me. Thankyou for checking. I know you locked the first thread, was there a reason why you removed it? Just curious.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Jul 26, 2016
I know you locked the first thread, was there a reason why you removed it? Just curious.
My intent was to push folks toward choosing the names they like as opposed to choosing the submission from the person they like. With the round one thread hidden it is a bit harder for folks to look back, see what their freind submitted, and make this a popularity contest. After the event is over all threads will be made visible once again.

It's ridiculous how much psychology and mathematics are involved in trying to create a decent poll. lol

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Ah ok...hmm somehow I missed seeing Beasties on the list, but I will take your word for it as that isn't anything new for me. Thankyou for checking. I know you locked the first thread, was there a reason why you removed it? Just curious.
Beastie is in it, that's for sure. And ain't gonna tell you why or how I know that :p

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
My intent was to push folks toward choosing the names they like as opposed to choosing the submission from the person they like. With the round one thread hidden it is a bit harder for folks to look back, see what their freind submitted, and make this a popularity contest. After the event is over all threads will be made visible once again.

It's ridiculous how much psychology and mathematics are involved in trying to create a decent poll. lol
No that is perfectly reasonable. I had not actually thought of that since my brain doesn't really work that way. Thankyou for the transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.