Hi, I sent you a PM yesterday. I tried lookup you up with your forum email address and could not find you in our backer database. Can you please send me your name or the email you used on IndieGoGo? We'll set you right up.
Also, I noticed you posted in the THMPR art demo thread that you did not receive the demo and that the "post office is always losing your stuff." Please know that the THMPR demo was sent electronically and not via post. Please check your original IndieGoGo signup email and spam folder. I hope this helps.
Ember DevTracker - View By Post
Page 3 of 48
Hello everyone, just a quick update to let you know that eligible backer levels should be receiving their digital PDF of the design book today! Now we send this puppy to the printers...
Those who contributed edits as of yesterday but where not backers will also receive a digital copy. TY!
Half of THMPRs have been shipped out. Next wave this week. 90% of people have verified their addresses. If you have not received an e-mail from Ronyn or verified yet, please check your spam folder or msg him here!
Also, final book layout in progress. Then will go to printers.
Joe was going to stream this weekend for the Omniframe, but his HD crashed (no data was lost) and is rebuilding.
Soon...this milestone is nearly done.
I agree there is still a lot to iron out. All of these things are already on the radar, but thanks for bringing it up.
As for founder program confirmation you can try to pass it again at Firefall Founder's Credit Program page with your Firefall UserId and it will tell you if your reward is already claimed and at what tier. Target Em-8ER account is one you have put into your status, there are several safeguards that make sure you linked to a valid account.
But since it's a popular request, I'm currently planning another way that will let you verify claimed reward sum directly. No ETA but Soon™.
Physical goods have been a big slowdown. For example I'm still cleaning support structures and gluing THMPRs together. Book that needs to be physically printed also a problem for time.
In the future we will focus on digital exclusives and physical things that are not detracting from game dev.
Greetings fellow Reapers,
Welcome to the Em-8ER, F.A.Q. contributor contest.
Over the months since Em-8ER was first announced, there has been a lot of great information released about it. So now we need to collect a bunch of the juicy details into a single, comprehensive F.A.Q. It's a big task so I am calling out to you, the community, to get involved and help me write it.
HERE IS HOW IT WORKS
You will present your entries as a question and an answer combination.
Q: Will Em-8ER be free to play?
A: No, Em-8ER will be have a cost to purchase but no monthly subscription.
You can submit up to three question and answer combinations in a single post.
Only one post per person.
WHAT DO YOU WIN?
Recognition! Each question and answer combination entry that makes it to the official F.A.Q. will have your name on it. You will be forever attributed as the contributor for that part of the F.A.Q.
Note: This thread is for entries only. Any discussion about the F.A.Q. or the contest should be done in the separate F.A.Q. discussion thread.
There is no set end date on this contest, I will keep it open until I am satisfied with the information gathered. Good luck to everyone!
I'm going to add that we've taken steps to increase production speed.
1) I am full-time on Em-8ER now. For both design and client side coding, as well as sound effects, animation graphs and terrain shaders and sculpting. I'm now also doing the sound effect work in ProTools and purchased sound libraries and plug-ins to help. (my design rate on consulting for other game projects is $350/hr. You do the math for the discount I'm offering on Em-8ER because it's my passion project).
2) We staggered the milestones. I've partially paid for the modeling of the male and female humans. When we do the fundraiser for these, they will be nearly done and we can concentrate on animation and scripting.
3) Since we are staggered, it means work on the Tsh-Hu will begin while we are doing the humans, so when the Tsi-Hu milestone goes up, the models will be partially done and be faster to complete.
We will do a milestone very 2 months. Here's what's left to go:
1) Human male/female characters
2) Tsi-Hu alien and beast mode
3) Coding the final playable mockup, including final animations, sound FX, particles, etc. and creating a playble THMPR encounter from start to finish.Last edited: May 15, 2017
Hi, first off, making a game model that has to work well in a game is different from modeling something static just to show off in a non-functional way. Even so your estimates are off by an order of magnitude. Let's break it down:
1) Fully rendered orthographic drawings to being modeling
2) Color studies for texture work
3) Rough form modeling to check scale and proportions.
4) Refinements to rough model, and iteration.
5) Hi-poly Z-brush sculpt (millions of polys).
6) Lo-poly version and LODs created.
7) Lo-poly rigged for animation and tested.
9) Careful quad placement and UV unwrapping of the model for minimum texture warping.
10) Materials created for PBR shader on model, of which there can be several.
11) Painting of those materials onto the model with weathering.
12) Iteration of the materials, hi-poly mesh and lo-poly mesh.
13) Final output, baking of normal maps, diffuse maps, AO maps, etc.
15) Iteration on Animations
16) Creating the animation graph and blend states
17) Hooking up animation graph to game logic and creating an NPC behavior tree
This is what you claim is just "a couple days work." When we created the Firefall characters, with a full time team of 7, it took 3 months to finish one model. 7 people, working full-time for 3 months at average industry salaries is almost $50,000. Not $2000. Go to any 3D outsourcer and get quotes. I did get a quote for animation from an outsourcer, and it was $14,000 for the THMPR alone to rig and animate. I luckily found some passionate part-timers to do them instead and we were able to fit it in our very small budget.
Consider that the milestone raised also covers the Omniframe, not just the THMRP as you imply. We also created a square kilometer of terrain, weather effects, and hired a server programmer to begin work on mutiplayer, as well as concept out our player charcters and pay for design work for the game to lay out the features and scope of the game in the vision book.
I can go on, but I know you are just here to troll. If this flamebait continues we'll move it to the appropriate section.Last edited: May 15, 2017
Quick update on the PDF Vision Book. While originally slated for today, we are still editing the text and tweaking the layout. To ensure we deliver a quality product, we will be releasing the PDF next week instead of this week. Thank you for your patience!