Hello everyone, just a quick update to let you know that eligible backer levels should be receiving their digital PDF of the design book today! Now we send this puppy to the printers...
Those who contributed edits as of yesterday but where not backers will also receive a digital copy. TY!
Ember DevTracker - View By Thread
Page 3 of 40
Also, I noticed you posted in the THMPR art demo thread that you did not receive the demo and that the "post office is always losing your stuff." Please know that the THMPR demo was sent electronically and not via post. Please check your original IndieGoGo signup email and spam folder. I hope this helps.
Half of THMPRs have been shipped out. Next wave this week. 90% of people have verified their addresses. If you have not received an e-mail from Ronyn or verified yet, please check your spam folder or msg him here!
Also, final book layout in progress. Then will go to printers.
Joe was going to stream this weekend for the Omniframe, but his HD crashed (no data was lost) and is rebuilding.
Soon...this milestone is nearly done.
ART Demo Shipped Last Friday!
PDF Game Vision Book Ships Next Week!
We are happy to announce that the main goal of the IndieGoGo campaign, the THMPR Art Demo, was shipped to backers last week.
The reaction was fantastic, here are a few samples:
“AMAZING!!!!! Wonderful graphics…The THMPR movement is amazing to watch, and that chuckle emote just WOW I LOVE IT. The landscape and environment are breathtaking to see and the movement of the THMPR is truly great” - DropnLock
“Very nice! Especially like the reflections on the armor. It actually looks like it's &$%#$ metallic. Terrain looks realistic, too. Movement looks good. Not awkward, like in a few other (much bigger budget) games.” - MattHunX
“I must say, i can't say how much i love this demo alone. I really want to see more^^” - Despair
If you are a backer and have not received your e-mail with download link, please contact @Ronyn on the forums at www.em8er.com
If you were not a backer, but want a chance to snag the EXE, you can back us on our next fundraiser for immediate access.
PDF Game Vision Book Next Week
Next week the PDF version of the Game Vision book will be shipping to all "Ready, Player One" and above backers. This is the final version that will be sent to printers for those expecting the hardcopy version.
Player Characters - Next Fundraiser in 30 Days.
The next milestone fundraiser is for the player characters and will be announced very soon. Here is a sneak peak:
Hi, first off, making a game model that has to work well in a game is different from modeling something static just to show off in a non-functional way. Even so your estimates are off by an order of magnitude. Let's break it down:
1) Fully rendered orthographic drawings to being modeling
2) Color studies for texture work
3) Rough form modeling to check scale and proportions.
4) Refinements to rough model, and iteration.
5) Hi-poly Z-brush sculpt (millions of polys).
6) Lo-poly version and LODs created.
7) Lo-poly rigged for animation and tested.
9) Careful quad placement and UV unwrapping of the model for minimum texture warping.
10) Materials created for PBR shader on model, of which there can be several.
11) Painting of those materials onto the model with weathering.
12) Iteration of the materials, hi-poly mesh and lo-poly mesh.
13) Final output, baking of normal maps, diffuse maps, AO maps, etc.
15) Iteration on Animations
16) Creating the animation graph and blend states
17) Hooking up animation graph to game logic and creating an NPC behavior tree
This is what you claim is just "a couple days work." When we created the Firefall characters, with a full time team of 7, it took 3 months to finish one model. 7 people, working full-time for 3 months at average industry salaries is almost $50,000. Not $2000. Go to any 3D outsourcer and get quotes. I did get a quote for animation from an outsourcer, and it was $14,000 for the THMPR alone to rig and animate. I luckily found some passionate part-timers to do them instead and we were able to fit it in our very small budget.
Consider that the milestone raised also covers the Omniframe, not just the THMRP as you imply. We also created a square kilometer of terrain, weather effects, and hired a server programmer to begin work on mutiplayer, as well as concept out our player charcters and pay for design work for the game to lay out the features and scope of the game in the vision book.
I can go on, but I know you are just here to troll. If this flamebait continues we'll move it to the appropriate section.Last edited: May 15, 2017
I'm going to add that we've taken steps to increase production speed.
1) I am full-time on Em-8ER now. For both design and client side coding, as well as sound effects, animation graphs and terrain shaders and sculpting. I'm now also doing the sound effect work in ProTools and purchased sound libraries and plug-ins to help. (my design rate on consulting for other game projects is $350/hr. You do the math for the discount I'm offering on Em-8ER because it's my passion project).
2) We staggered the milestones. I've partially paid for the modeling of the male and female humans. When we do the fundraiser for these, they will be nearly done and we can concentrate on animation and scripting.
3) Since we are staggered, it means work on the Tsh-Hu will begin while we are doing the humans, so when the Tsi-Hu milestone goes up, the models will be partially done and be faster to complete.
We will do a milestone very 2 months. Here's what's left to go:
1) Human male/female characters
2) Tsi-Hu alien and beast mode
3) Coding the final playable mockup, including final animations, sound FX, particles, etc. and creating a playble THMPR encounter from start to finish.Last edited: May 15, 2017
Physical goods have been a big slowdown. For example I'm still cleaning support structures and gluing THMPRs together. Book that needs to be physically printed also a problem for time.
In the future we will focus on digital exclusives and physical things that are not detracting from game dev.
Quick update on the PDF Vision Book. While originally slated for today, we are still editing the text and tweaking the layout. To ensure we deliver a quality product, we will be releasing the PDF next week instead of this week. Thank you for your patience!
The glorious day where we get to see the frigid tundra and magnificent mek-a in motion has come. Follow the link below to hear some words from the main main, Grummz himself.
Links have been sent out through your backer email. Any backer who has not yet received the EXE should wait up to 24 hours from now, if you have not received it by then please post here. One of the staff will then contact you to get it resolved. Don't forget to check your spam folder just in case.
For those of you who already have it by the time you read this....ENJOY!